Saturday, October 4, 2008

Hear Rate Monitor


My Polar s725x.
If you are going to get serious about your carido vascular fitness then I would recommend a heart rate monitor. I have to say that I am a sucker for tech, most cops are, so if there is a toy out there that I can use I will. Heart rate monitors are great tools that allow you to exercise within certain parameters and get the most out of your workout. Like most tech, they can be basic and reasonably priced or very advanced and expensive. I would recommend the ones that use a chest strap you wear, it transmits data wirelessly to the watch that constantly monitors your heart rate. You can't go wrong with any model from Polar. Others style include models that you have to place two fingers on and wait for the watch to give a current HR reading. These models usually don't work as well and are not as carefree as the chest strap models.
A couple of years ago I purchase the Polar s725x shown above. I is a more advanced model that can be coupled with wireless bike sensor to give you speed, distance and time while you are on your bike, or a wireless foot pod that can give you a speed, distance, pace and other info while you run. The watch comes with software that allows you to download the information to your PC to track you workouts, calories burned and more.

Sample of Polar software that allows you to analyze your workouts with great detail.

No comments: