Saturday, February 6, 2010

Blackhawk Serpa level 3

The Serpa Level 3




I have been using this holster and I have to say that it is the only true update on a LE holster that has come around in years. I think the holster is a smooth and fast operator under ideal conditions. I have not had to defend the weapon in a retention situation, training or otherwise, but I feel like it could take a lot of punishment and at least remain on the belt.
As for retaining the weapon during a struggle I'm not that convinced. I'm not sure how sturdy the hood is and if I would depend on that alone to retain the weapon if the lower button is being depressed. Here's a quick overview:


Cons/Concerns:
  1. The top release mechanism is just that, a mechanism that has more than one point of potential failure. The release on the hood relies on a spring to open. Could this break or otherwise become jammed? It is possible, springs and hinge points fail. This is just a thought because it has been 100% reliable for me during hundreds of practice draws.
  2. The lower release button is a rocker design. It seems like it would be possible for debris to get lodged into the button system if the officer was forced down to the ground. Rolling onto the holster could apply 100s of pounds of pressure that could force rocks, dirt or snow into mech and prevent the button from moving.

Pros

  1. Finger position is more natural and, despite what some critics say, safer. We have all been trained to position the finger in a pointing position and with just a bit of practice the button is always in reach.
  2. Light weight
  3. Smooth to draw from

I think some real training with the holster, putting it through some heavy duty retention exercises may be needed for me to really give a full recommendation. Relying on 2 mechanical systems to work before I can get my weapon on target is scary to think about. For me, I do have some faith in the holster, or I would not carry it, and plan on continue to practice with it. No real life data is available for duty use and failure of the serpa. Blackhawk claims that multiple departments are using the system, Virgina Beach, VA is one of the larger ones.

One thing is for sure all holsters can and will fail, you have to make your own choice and practice, practice, practice.

No comments: